Your leading independent provider of legal advice to the Motor Trade.

Blog Post

Overlooked? Music in the showroom of service bay…

This is another topic that we frequently get asked about and is something that is often overlooked. Do we need a music license if we have the radio on in the service bay and/or the showroom?

The answer is quite simply yes. What you are in fact doing is paying a royalty to the performers who create the music you are listening to. It doesn’t matter by what means you are playing music, radio, streaming, tv, vinal, tape or cd. The question is, is the music being played so that a number of people can hear it?                                                                                                                              

If the answer is yes, then you need a licence. 

You can get a licence from The Performing Rights Society (PRS) these two links will help you. 


You can also phone them on 0800 0720 808. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Car Imports
Imports into the UK

January 2021, new rules applied to imports of goods from outside the UK.

young man suffering from-cold-having-headache
Potential Flu epidemic?

Having heard an interview recently on the BBC’s Today programme, I thought it worth

AM Three Issues

Calculating Holiday Pay Two court decisions in 2014 mean that holiday pay should now

new tax rules for cars
Is anyone ready for the new Car Tax Rules?

As from 1st October 2014 the DVLA 'Driver Vehicle licensing Agency will stop issuing

car dashboard
Log Book Loans

Carry out security data checks We welcome the news that Financial Conduct Authority is taking

lawdata relocated
Lawdata has relocated

Lawdata has completed its relocation and is expecting a fantastic years trading! Our new

Consumer Rights Regulations 2012

Payment Surcharges We've had reports of some local Trading Standards departments starting to take action